σαν την άλλη

Why is σαν τη άλλη in the accusative case? I think I understand the meaning of the the rest. The man takes the statement literally and goes to get pasta because he thinks there is war, while 'she' (the same person as τη άλλη?) has had her period ήρθαν οι Ρώσοι).
Σαν την άλλη, που μου λέει ήρθαν οι Ρώσοι, πήγα πήρα μακαρόνια, νόμιζα γίνεται πόλεμος και αυτή είχε περίοδο
Μαργαρίτες Μάντολες

Incidentally, in an article in an English newspaper earlier on this year, a study found that there were over 5000 slang terms for a period in 10 different languages. In Greek see:- http://www.womantoc.gr/wellness/article/ta-psevdonyma-tis-periodou-se-olo-ton-kosmo. The Finnish one, correctly spelt, should be Hullun lehmän tauti:- 'mad cow disease' but I have it on good authority that no Finnish man ever uses it and the research in Finland is suspect.

How many synonyms in Greek are in common use? Or exist at all? Apparently France and China spoke about periods in 91 per cent slang terms, followed by Denmark at 86 per cent.:)

Earion

Staff member
First, the article needs an ending in -ν. Σαν την άλλη. Remember never to omit it.
Second, σαν (a contraction of ωσάν) ushers comparisons and similes and is followed by an accusative. Σαν τον αϊτό είχα φτερά ...
Third, the speaker, a man, takes the woman's statement too literally, and thinks that the "Russians are coming". He therefore rushes to the supermarket to buy pasta and stock it "for the hard days that may come", obeying to an urge for survival.

:)Thanks, Earion. both for the correction and help on the grammatical point. I do not know why I missed the -ν. I never did in Classical Greek, where the ν euphonicum was second nature.:(

The expression ο άλλος/η άλλη seems to have acquired a new meaning in youth/media culture (into which, Theseus, you love to dive!). Something like: "someone"/"the guy who" etc.

Thanks, Marinos. I've never come across it before. Who is/are Μάντολες; There are many of these short stanzas appear under the Μαργαρίτες Μάντολες label.

Earion

Staff member
For you, Theseus: The Russians Are Coming

Είμαι αιτός χωρίς φτερά (Μουσική: Μάνος Χατζιδάκις, στίχοι: Ευτυχία Παπαγιαννοπούλου, τραγούδι: Γρηγόρης Μπιθικώτσης)

Your gift is wonderful & eagerly accepted. The lyrics were beautiful-& easy to translate. I must be making some progress...