metafrasi banner

That's nice!

It can be an expression of lack of interest. This from Urban Dictionary:-
A common response to a comment which you find uninteresting, boring, or you are just downright not in the right mood to care about.
-Person 1: Dude, I just did a quadruple backflip on my unicycle!
Person 2: That's nice.
-Person 1: Hey man, I asked out this chick, and she rejected me.
Person 2: That's nice.
Or commonly as a sarcastic reaction to a comment that is felt to be unfair:-
-Person1: You've had the whole morning off, while I've been slogging away.
-Person 2: That's nice! I've cleaned the cooker, chopped all the logs & made the fire.
Again from Urban Dictionary (freely adapted):-
A polite way of saying, "F*** you!
-Southern Belle 1: What's your dad ever done for you?!
-Southern Belle 2:"Well ...he did send me to finishing school..."
Southern Belle 1: "Why'd he do that? To make you feel better than us with your posh accent!'
Southern Belle 1: So I could learn to say THAT'S NICE instead of F*** YOU!"

What would be the natural Greek in both these instances?:curse::)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
One could use similar expressions in Greek, like Τι καλά! Τι ωραία! Ωραία! Μπράβο σου!, etc. with the proper oral dose of uninterested tone, but what I like in many cases would be "Μη μου πεις!" or even "Μεγάλο κατόρθωμα!" for an extra splash of sarcasm.

And here's another one, close to "that's nice," damning with a not so faint praise:

-Person1: You've had the whole morning off, while I've been slogging away.
-Person 2: That's nice! I've cleaned the cooker, chopped all the logs & made the fire.

—Εσύ άραζες όλο το πρωί, ενώ εμένα μου βγήκε ο πάτος.
—Μωρέ μπράβο! Εγώ καθάρισα, έκοψα όλα τα ξύλα κι άναψα τη φωτιά.

rogne

¥
I guess Μπράβο!, or better still Τι λες!, or Σώπα!, or Έλα ρε! (actually, I think the last three render more literally "You don't say!", but it doesn't really seem all that different, does it?).

PS. Hadn't seen daeman coming!

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
And something lighter, useful in some cases, on double duty this Sunday afternoon: Δε βαριέσαι...

meh :-)

Expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm: ‘meh, I'm not impressed so far’

Daeman says: Ειλικρινά τώρα, το καλύψαμε όλοι μια χαρά το θέμα του That's nice! :up:

His daemon says: Δε βαριέσαι... :p Όσα πάνε κι όσα έρθουν.

Bonus phrase, Theseus; works both ways, with πάνε first or second:

όσα έρθουν κι όσα πάνε, για κτ. που γίνεται χωρίς σχεδιασμό, προγραμματισμό, που αφήνεται στην τύχη του και ως χαρακτηρισμός για άνθρωπο που ενεργεί μ' αυτόν τον τρόπο.

Whatever will be will be.

rogne

¥
Oh, there is also Ναι, ε;, which nowadays is often found to be followed by some Greek version of "F*** U!"...

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, there is also Ναι, ε;, which nowadays is often found to be followed by some Greek version of "F*** U!"...

That's a good one. Short and simple, an instrument both edged and blunt; threatening with the correct tone, uninterested when said with the appropriate tinge.

:D