metafrasi banner

for -like- ever

Typical teenspeak. Here is an example:-
-I've had a crush on him for - like ever.
Would μια και, λέμε, πάντα do? :wub:

SBE

¥
There is no Greek equivalent for this, Theseus. I would just disregard it for translation purposes, after all it can be disregarded in English without altering the meaning of the phrase. If you must use something, any of the words denoting exaggeration (in this case, there are other uses of "like"), and it would normally go where you expect it for proper syntax.
In this case I would suggest:
από πάντα, λέμε/ μιλάμε

Thanks, both. I thought that splitting up 'for' & 'ever' might be possible on the lines of expletive infixation. Clearly it isn't.

Πράγματι δεν έχει ακριβή αντιστοιχία. Κι εγώ στο ίδιο κλίμα με τον Νίκελ κινήθηκα μόλις το είδα. Αλλά εγώ νομίζω ότι μπορούμε να το σπάσουμε. Υποτίθεται ότι είναι προφορικός λόγος, άρα γίνεται. Θα μπορούσαν να μπουν κι αποσιωπητικά αντί για κόμματα, αλλά θα μεγαλώσει το κενό, η παύση, και αυτό δεν το θέλουμε νομίζω εδώ.

-Τον γούσταρα από, σα να λέμε, πάντα.
ή
-Τον γούσταρα από, τι να πω, πάντα.

Ή το παραλείπεις τελείως, όπως ειπώθηκε (το "σφάζεις" όπως λέμε εμείς οι μεταφραστές).

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Εγώ νομίζω ότι ένας έφηβος δεν θα έλεγε «τι να πω» και «σαν να λέμε», αλλά «από πάντα, λέμε» χωρίς να κόψει τη φράση, όπως λέει η SBE παραπάνω. Βέβαια με επιφύλαξη και θα ρωτήσω και την ανιψιά πώς τα λένε αυτά οι νέοι σήμερα :)

Thanks, AoratiMelani. What is the exact meaning here of εγώ στο ίδιο κλίμα με τον Νίκελ κινήθηκα; I know what it means literally but 'I moved in the same ambience as Nikel' seems so peculiar that I clearly have missed its idiomatic meaning!

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... What is the exact meaning here of εγώ στο ίδιο κλίμα με τον Νίκελ κινήθηκα; I know what it means literally but 'I moved in the same ambience as Nikel' seems so peculiar that I clearly have missed its idiomatic meaning!

along the same lines / along those lines / along similar lines

But what makes me wonder is where the heck is Nickel hidden in this thread.
Who is that and
what have they done with Nickel? :-)

... από πάντα, λέμε/ μιλάμε

Εγώ νομίζω ότι ένας έφηβος δεν θα έλεγε «τι να πω» και «σαν να λέμε», αλλά «από πάντα, λέμε» χωρίς να κόψει τη φράση, όπως λέει η SBE παραπάνω. Βέβαια με επιφύλαξη και θα ρωτήσω και την ανιψιά πώς τα λένε αυτά οι νέοι σήμερα :)

+1.
Inside information, in-house confirmation: asked my 15 year old son. :-)

:(Did your son agree about λέμε or the other fillers, σαν να λέμε, τι να πω κτλ.; I couldn't find Nikel either!;)

SBE

¥
His son, like most Greek native speakers, would find breaking the phrase there very unusual. Which is the basis of my original reply, that it does not happen in modern Greek (no idea about other Greek), so the best solution is to not translate it as it does not have any meaning, its just a filler that enhances the

Thanks for your help! Often teenagers I teach draw simultaneously in the air two quotation marks - English, not Greek-style ones- when quoting the exact words they used to, say, for example, a boyfriend:- 'So l, like, said to him, like: " I'm done with you; I'm fed up with your flirting". This sort of context would call for μιλάμε rather than λέμε/ λένε. So I understand Daeman.

SBE

¥
... από πάντα, λέμε (ή όπως το γράφουν μερικοί κοροϊδευτικά τα τελευταία χρόνια, λαίμαι)
... από πάντα, μιλάμε, ρε δικέ μου (αυτό το τελευταίο πρέπει να μην ακούγεται και πολύ πλέον)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Often teenagers I teach draw simultaneously in the air two quotation marks - English, not Greek-style ones- when quoting the exact words they used to, say, for example, a boyfriend:- 'So l, like, said to him, like: " I'm done with you; I'm fed up with your flirting". This sort of context would call for μιλάμε rather than λέμε/ λένε. So I understand Daeman.

Can I just stop you right there for a second? When people do "this", I do really know what that means: air quotes. :-)

Can I just stop you right there for a second? When people do "this", I don't really know what that means. :p

Sorry, Daeman. I didn't mean to sound patronising. I was thinking that air quotes might differ from culture to culture, without any assumption that Greek people wouldn't understand the English-speaking conventional punctuation.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, Daeman. I didn't mean to sound patronising. I was thinking that air quotes might differ from culture to culture, without any assumption that Greek people wouldn't understand the English-speaking conventional punctuation.

Not at all patronising, Theseus, and my reaction was only daemanic, typically so: just linking to the relevant Lexi-thread with a sprinkle of tongue in cheek on top, as usual, taking advantage of that particular quote to link to the air quotes thread. :-)
I thought you'd find the video clip with Greek subtitles useful.

I've had a crush on him for - like ever.

Τον γούσταρα τύπου από πάντα.

Ακόμα κι αντίστροφα:

Τον γούσταρα από πάντα, τύπου. (δεν είμαι σίγουρη για το κόμμα)

τύπου