metafrasi banner

a rose window

Also called a rosace, rosette window or wheel window. This passage from Norman Douglas's 'Old Calabria' I'm trying to put into simple but idiomatic Greek:-
'Among other local curiosities, he pointed out the portal of the parish church, a fine but dilapidated piece of work, with a large rosette window overhead.'
It is difficult to translate into Greek from English since it seems to me that often modern English is cluttered & long-winded whereas Greek has more concision & simplicity. Thus I am looking for models, like bilinguals, for inspiration & imitation.
Is a rose window in Greek ένα παράθυρο του Ρόδου?

Here is my attempt at translating the above piece of beautiful English prose:-
«Μεταξύ των άλλων αξιοθέατων, μου έδειξε την πύλη της εκκλησίας της πόλης, έξοχης τέχνης αλλά σε κακή κατάσταση, οποία είχε από πάνω ένα μεγάλο ρόδακα.»
Could someone please correct it into better Greek? :confused:

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Not bad.

I would try:

Ανάμεσα στα άλλα αξιοπερίεργα του τόπου μού έδειξε τη θύρα της εκκλησίας της ενορίας, ένα κομψό μα και ταλαιπωρημένο καλλιτέχνημα με το υπέρθυρό της: ένα μεγάλο παράθυρο με ρόδακα.

Ευχαριστώ, Δρ. Από σένα 'not bad' είναι αλήθεια-για μένα τουλάχιστον-ένα μεγάλο κομπλιμέντο. Σκοπεύω τώρα να πάρω Α αντί για Γ!

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Let me add that the only mistake in your Greek in #4 is the article you left out of the relative pronoun. It should be: η οποία είχε etc.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Α, ναι, ξέχασα το δωράκι! Ένα Catherine window, με την ευχή κάποτε να αποκτήσετε ένα.
Όχι αυτό, δεν πουλιέται. :eek:

Roses are red, these windows are round
Here's a rose window for Catherines I've found

Μεγάλο και τριανταφυλλένιο.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
That which we call a rose window above any other church portal would not smell as sweet to me as this one from Toplou monastery:

A wheel window from the South, closer to Calabria in more than one way.

Memories, memories, memories! When Sophokles, the owner of Glaros villas where we were staying, adopted me & entertained me, he took me to Μονή Τοπλού. Since he was a psaltes at various services there, I had exclusive access to the monastery. I was shown where the resistance fighters hid; the place where their radio was & I am sure that I was shown the spot where the abbot & the two monks were executed. I loved our week in the village of Palekastro. I don't exaggerate when I say it was one of the high points of my life.Thanks for the picture, Daeman.
Τὴν ἐκκλησίαν ἀγαπῶ – τὰ ἑξαπτέρυγά της,
τ᾿ ἀσήµια τῶν σκευῶν, τὰ κηροπήγιά της,
τὰ φῶτα, τὲς εἰκόνες, τὸν ἄµβωνά της.