για το γάιδαρο καβάλα

Τι ακριβώς σημαίνει στα Αγγλικά η παραπάνω παροιμία; Δεν καταλαβαίνω το λήμμα του slang.gr, δηλ. η σημείωση 'αν κάποιος/α έχει μήδι μ' αυτόν ας το ανεβάσεί.:confused:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Τι ακριβώς σημαίνει στα Αγγλικά η παραπάνω παροιμία;

This phrase means that someone deserves to be publicly shamed. An old, brutal custom similar to pilloring, but riding on a donkey and facing backwards, with an echo of it surviving nowadays in the perp walk.

By the way, since they mention μουτζούρωμα in slang.gr, an example in Lexilogia can be found in the thread Το δημοτικό στο Συρράκο (see γάνωσις in the initial post by Earion and the comments following up on that).

... Δεν καταλαβαίνω το λήμμα του slang.gr, δηλ. η σημείωση 'αν κάποιος/α έχει μήδι μ' αυτόν ας το ανεβάσεί.:confused:

I think that refers to the 3rd example they mention there:

-Θυμάσαι εκείνον τον χαρακτηριστικό τρελόγερο μουσάτο καβαλάρη που, τη δεκαετία του ενενήντα κυκλοφορούσε στους δρόμους της Αθήνας φωνάζοντας στον κόσμο να μετανοήσει;
-Μπορεί να καβαλούσε άλογο, αλλά ήταν σίγουρα για το γάϊδαρο καβάλα.

asking anyone who happens to have any form of media (μήδι) about that old man to post it.

That entry in slang.gr puzzles me, too: it mentions a "παράδειγμα 4" which is nowhere to be found.

Btw, γάιδαρος does not need a diaeresis mark on the -ι- according to contemporary Greek grammar; it's obvious by the accent placed on -α- that the -αι- in this case is not to be read as ε.

Let me just add that μήδι is not a legitimate word, rather a pun on media and μύδι (mussel) that is part of the slang.gr proprietary jargon.

Thanks, Sarant. I know what μύδι means in its first sense in slang.gr, but am completely lost as to the meaning of μύδι in its second sense. Can you give me a simple definition of μύδι in sense 2? Thanks in advance.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
The mass media are often (and normally) transliterated as μίντια in Greek, formerly μήντια (until all such spellings were simplified). Some people would prefer μέντια because of its Latin origin, but that's a different story. Now the social media have been called [μίδια], as a pun on μύδια (mussels) and a pseudohellenization of μίντια. I think the usual spelling is μύδια. I hope sarant agrees. Είναι πιο μιδιακός από μένα. Ή μάλλον μυδιακός. :-)