metafrasi banner

Anyway, presumably Nicky is going to come tonight

I am back from hospital, still in some considerable pain but I managed to jot down as far as I could scrawl down the possible bits of conversation from a language course & wonder how this passage would go into Greek-
"Anyway, presumably Nicky's going to come tonight, as well. To be honest, I can't make her out. I mean, you know, fair play to her, she's not a bad woman, but, well....Every now & then sort of thing, it seems weird to me the way she acts. She's talking all nice and sweet, like, when all of a sudden she just bites your head off, snap! All of us are gobsmacked, know what I mean. Then, like, the next moment you look, as if nothing had happened, she carries on, all smiling away. She's not even aware of it, yeah! To be honest, half the time, it gets on my tits. Is she screwy or not? Anyway, if she comes, let her come, what the hell. Normally, she's a good woman really. Listen, that apart, she's got a brother, the genuine article. If he comes, he's bloody awesome! Tell her to bring him along as well. Or, no doubt about it, the get-together is going to be an effing washout."
The English is a bit stilted but full of typical fillers. I hope it is not too much to ask the forum. I have missed my Greek on lexilogia!:clap:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Πρώτα απ' όλα, σιδερένιος!

Το άλλο απαιτεί γερό διάλειμμα. Και high spirits. Ή κατάλληλα spirits, τελοσπάντων.

Χίλια ευχαριστώ, Nickel, για τις ενθαρρυντικές λέξεις! Η εγχείρηση είχε μεγάλη επιτυχία αλλά ακόμη πονάει πολύ ο γοφός μου. Πρέπει να πάρω από του στόματος 10 mg μορφίνη τρεις φορές την ημέρα αλλά καθημερινά σταδιακά καλυτερεύω.:upz:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Περαστικά στον πόνο, Θησέα, και γρήγορη ανάρρωση!

You're hip to the jive, in the know, there and not square, so we the cats shall hep you. :up:

Whaddya say, gate? Are you in the know, or are you a solid bringer-downer?
- from Cab Calloways' hit song, 'Are you Hep to the Jive?'

Here's the stone bible for you to collar that apple trickeration that will truly get your boots on! Say all you cats and chicks, don't be icky. Bust your conk on this mess and you'll be wailin' with the mellows.

We the Cats Shall Hep You / Hepster's Dictionary (Sensations Of 1945) - Cab Calloway Band

As long as Nicky doesn't bite our heads off. :-)

Ευχαριστώ, Εάριων, για το δωράκι. Μετέφρασα ως εξής το πρώτο νέο ποίημα της Σαπφούς δηλ. το απόσπασμα όπου θρηνολογεί η Σαπφώ για το γέρασμα:-

New Poem of Sappho

You strive, girls, for the lovely gifts of the violet-breasted Muses
And for skill on the pure-sounding lyre, resonant with joyful chord.

But as for me, my once delicate skin old age has already
Played havoc with; and white hair has taken the place of black hair.

And my soul is heavy within me; my legs bear me up no longer-
Me who went dancing once on a time, nimble as a little fawn.

Oh I often complain of such things. But how can I help it?
We are human and it’s not possible to escape growing old.

For they said of Tithonus that long ago Dawn in her rosy arms,
Crazy with love, went and carried him off right to the world’s end.

He was young then and handsome but nevertheless in the end
Grey old age got him, though he had as his bride an immortal goddess.

Το δωράκι μου στη Λεξιλογία.gr.

Earion

Staff member
:clap:Thank you Theseus.

(P.S. There's a special section for poetry in Lexilogia here —including a bit of Sappho too).

SBE

¥
My slang is not current but I'll have a quick go.

Anyway, presumably Nicky's going to come tonight, as well.
Τέλος πάντων, φαντάζομαι ότι θα έρθει απόψε κι η Νίκη.

To be honest, I can't make her out.
Για να λέμε την αλήθεια, δεν την πιάνω.

I mean, you know, fair play to her, she's not a bad woman, but, well....
Δηλαδή, να, της βγάζω το καπέλλο, είναι καλό κορίτσι, αλλά, ναι μεν αλλά...

Every now & then sort of thing, it seems weird to me the way she acts.
Ώρες ώρες κάνει λες και την τσίμπησε μύγα.

She's talking all nice and sweet, like, when all of a sudden she just bites your head off, snap!
Ήταν με το σεις και με το σας και στο δευτερόλεπτο έγινε θηρίο ανήμερο.

All of us are gobsmacked, know what I mean.
Έμεινα κάγκελο, με αντιλαμβάνεσαι;

Then, like, the next moment you look, as if nothing had happened, she carries on, all smiling away.
Και μετά, εν ριπή οφθαλμού που λένε, αρνάκι πάλι και δεν τρέχει τίποτα.

She's not even aware of it, yeah!
Και ούτε έχει πάρει χαμπάρι τί κάνει, αμ πως!

Τα υπόλοιπα αύριο.

Ευχαριστώ πολύ, ΣΒΕ! Τόσο χρήσιμη είναι η μετάφραση σου για εμένα στο πλαίσιο ευχέρειας. Περιμένω με χαρά την αυριανή συνέχεια. Σε ευχαριστώ επίσης, Εάριων, που με πληροφόρησες για το ποιητικό τμήμα του φόρουμ και το δεύτερο κομματάκι της Σαπφούς.
Ελπίζω ότι θα περάσουνε αυτές οι απόπειρες σε Ελληνικά. :blush:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
She's talking all nice and sweet, like, when all of a sudden she just bites your head off, snap!
Ήταν με το σεις και με το σας και στο δευτερόλεπτο έγινε θηρίο ανήμερο.

Πολύ ωραία. Να 'σαι καλά, SBE. Το παραπάνω θα το κρατούσα σε ενεστώτα:

«Είναι με το σεις και με το σας και στο δευτερόλεπτο γίνεται θηρίο ανήμερο.»

Another thing to remember with SBE's spelling is that it does not conform with modern conventions, especially where two consonants have become one, e.g. καπέλλο > καπέλο. But then the book you've been using, Theseus, is most probably adhering to the old spelling as well. :-)

SBE

¥
To be honest, half the time, it gets on my tits.
Εδώ που τα λέμε, τις πιο πολλές φορές μου κάνει τα νεύρα... (add the noun of your choice)

Is she screwy or not?
Tης έχει λασκάρει βίδα, δε νομίζεις;

Anyway, if she comes, let her come, what the hell.
Τεσπά, άμα θέλει να έρθει ας έρθει. Δε θα σκάσουμε κι όλας.

Normally, she's a good woman really.
Συνήθως είναι καλό κορίτσι.

Listen, that apart, she's got a brother, the genuine article.
Κατα τ'άλλα, έχει έναν αδερφό, σπουδαία περίπτωση.

If he comes, he's bloody awesome! Tell her to bring him along as well.
Άμα έρθει θα περάσουμε φίνα, είναι και γαμώ τα παιδιά. Πες της να τον φέρει κι αυτόν.

Or, no doubt about it, the get-together is going to be an effing washout.
Αλλιώς η μάζωξη θα είναι ξενέρωμα.

Earion

Staff member
Or, no doubt about it, the get-together is going to be an effing washout.
Αλλιώς, μην το συζητάς / μην το ψάχνεις / σ’ το υπογράφω ......

Ελπίζω ότι θα περάσουνε αυτές οι απόπειρες σε Ελληνικά.

You mean: Ελπίζω ότι θα περάσουνε αυτές οι απόπειρες για ελληνικά (= they’ll pass for good Greek).

Ευχαριστώ, Εάριων, για τη διόρθωση. Όλοι μαθαίνουμε από τη πείρα...

Ευχαριστώ σου για τη δεύτερη συνέχεια, ΣΒΕ. Πολύ χρήσιμη για 'μένα. Ευχαριστώ επίσης για τις προσπάθειες εκ μέρους μου. Εκτιμώ πάρα πολύ τη βοήθειά σας.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Αγαπητέ Θησέα, μια που άρχισες να γράφεις ελληνικά και στη Λεξιλογία —που πολύ το χαίρομαι, because practice makes perfect— κι επειδή πιστεύω ότι επιδιώκεις κι εσύ, όσο γίνεται, την τελειότητα, επίτρεψέ μου δυο μικρές παρατηρήσεις, με όλο τον σεβασμό αλλά και το θάρρος που σου έχω μετά από τόσες ώρες συναναστροφής μαζί σου εδώ χρόνια τώρα, πιστεύοντας ότι ξέρεις καλά πως η καλή προαίρεση απέναντί σου εκ μέρους μου είναι δεδομένη:

1. Ευχαριστώ εσένα > Σε ευχαριστώ (σ' ευχαριστώ) > Ευχαριστώ, δηλαδή το ρήμα ευχαριστώ (ευχαριστώ κάποιον για κάτι) συντάσσεται με αιτιατική, όχι με γενική (i.e. thank you, not thank yours).

Ή ευχαριστώ σε, αν το θέλεις πιο ποιητικό.

Ομοίως, παρακαλώ (εσένα, εσέ), σε παρακαλώ, παρακαλώ σε.

2. Εμένα > μένα. Σωστό και απλούστερο χωρίς την απόστροφο: Από μένα για σένα, σχετικά με μένα.

1) Καταρχάς δεν χρειάζονται απόστροφο το "μένα", "σένα". Η σωστή ορθογραφία είναι χωρίς απόστροφο. Μπορείς να το δεις και στο ΛΚΝ, εδώ, καθώς και στο Λεξισκόπιο εδώ. ...

Ή εμέ > με. Ομοίως: Εσένα > σένα και εσέ > σε:

Πετραδάκι πετραδάκι για τα σένα το 'χτισα
της αγάπης το τσαρδάκι κι όμως δε σ' απόχτησα

Πετραδάκι-πετραδάκι - Μιχάλης Μενιδιάτης & Άννυ Λιαροπούλου

Μικρολίθου-μικρολίθου δι' εσέ ανήγειρον
της του έρωτος οικίας κτίτωρ μεν, ου κτήτωρ σου
:p

~ Daeman, born next to the site of Minotaur's labyrinth, helping Theseus navigate the maze of colloquial Greek :-)

Σ' ευχαριστώ θερμά, Δαέμαν, για τα καλά σου λόγια. Θα λάβω υπόψη την παροιμία 'επανάληψη μήτηρ μαθήσεως' ή 'επανάληψη μήτηρ πάσης μαθήσεως'.