Χαιρετίσματα στον πλάτανο

:cheek:What exactly does the above expression mean? It is supposed to be a more emphatic form of the ironic use of χαιρετίσματα. Examples from a different forum are:
-Rely on him to help me? Χαιρετίσματα!
–Τhe Environment Minister announced that by 2012, the city of Athens will have ten new public parks.
–Καλά! Χαιρετίσματα!
This is clearly connected to my last thread 'thank you very much!' Is the nuance of χαιρετίσματα in these ironic examples similar to the Englsh 'pull the other one'/'do me a favour'', informal expressions, used to express brusque dismissal of a remark. Similar expressions in Greek seem to be χαίρετα στον πλάτανο/χαιρετίσματα στον πλάτανο /μαγκούρες. I found the discussion on 'thank you very much! (ironic) very helpful and illuminating and it led me on to investigating the ironic use of, and phrases stemming from, the word χαιρετίσματα.:)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
The more common form is Χαιρέτα μας τον πλάτανο! (or: Χαιρέτα μου τον πλάτανο) and describes the speaker's opinion that what was said before is unlikely to happen (therefore, it is similar to "Don't hold your breath").

More later!

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

http://salutdeplatane.blogspot.gr :whistle:

Inachus

Ένας δάσκαλος στο σχολείο συνήθιζε να μας το λέει έτσι:
«Χαιρέτα μου τον πλάτανο ... και Νικολό καρτέρει»