metafrasi banner

square

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rigidly conventional; dull.

Έχουμε κάποια λέξη στη γλώσσα της εποχής μας που αποδίδει τον χαρακτηρισμό αυτό; Σκέφτομαι συντηρητικός, μούχλας και διάφορα άλλα, αλλά θα μ' ενδιέφερε αν έχει μπει στο σλανγκ λεξιλόγιο αμετάφραστο. Σύμφωνα με το slang.gr πάντως, όχι.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Και ο μούχλας (Ο βαριεστημένος, αυτός που σπανίως βγαίνει από το σπίτι του και δεν έχει κοινωνική ζωή — slang.gr) δεν σημαίνει κανονικά τον βαρετό, τον συντηρητικό (σπάνιο και μεγάλο: συντηρητικούρας).

Συντηρητικός και βαρετός μαζί: συντηρούκλα. Για τον αφόρητα συντηρητικό: ναφθαλινικός (δεν είμαι βέβαιος κατά πόσο είναι σε χρήση. Το Google μού δίνει τέσσερα ευρήματα, εκ των οποίων το ένα είναι δικό μου).

Εγώ δεν θα το 'λεγα, όχι. Δεν ξέρω κατά πόσο θα ταίριαζε στο αγγλικό το παλιομοδίτης και ντεμοντέ. Υπάρχει και το κλασικούρα ή κλασικουρία αλλά αυτό αναφέρεται σε πράγματα, αν και δεν θα με ξένιζε να το ακούσω και για άτομα. Το αντίθετο είναι μάλλον το προχώ (το οποίο όμως μάλλον έχει παλιώσει επικίνδυνα με αποτέλεσμα να συνιστά αυτοοξύμωρο).

Δεν είναι μόνο ο συντηρητικός ή ο μούχλας. Είναι όλα μαζί. Είναι αυτό που λέμε stuck up. Αυτός που είναι politically correct, που κάνει πράγματα μόνο και αυστηρά by the book, που δεν αφήνεται ποτέ, που δεν έχει φαντασία ή δημιουργικότητα, που... που... που...

Εδώ, πάλι, τα ξενέρωτη, κρυόκωλη δεν κολλάνε με τίποτα - ίσως, παλαιών αρχών, παλιομοδίτικη, συντηρητική, σοβαρή.

Elvis Presley ~ (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care ~ 1957

You don't like crazy music.
You don't like rockin' bands.
You just wanna go to a movie show,
And sit there holdin' hands.
You're so square.
Baby, I don't care.

You don't like hotrod racin'
Or drivin' late at night.
You just wanna park where it's nice and dark.
You just wanna hold me tight.
You're so square.
Baby, I don't care.

You don't know any dance steps that are new,
But no one else could love me like you do, do, do, do.

I don't know why my heart flips.
I only know it does.
I wonder why I love you, baby.
I guess it's just because
You're so square.
Baby, I don't care.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/elvispresley/youresosquarebabyidontcare.html

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν είναι μόνο ο συντηρητικός ή ο μούχλας. Είναι όλα μαζί. Είναι αυτό που λέμε stuck up. Αυτός που είναι politically correct, που κάνει πράγματα μόνο και αυστηρά by the book, που δεν αφήνεται ποτέ, που δεν έχει φαντασία ή δημιουργικότητα, που... που... που...
Υπάρχει και ομπρέλα (ομπρελάρα όμως): ξενέρωτος

Αυτό. Το αντίθετο του hip.

square: Slang A person who is regarded as dull, rigidly conventional, and out of touch with current trends.

ξενέρωτος : (οικ.) 1. ειρωνικός χαρακτηρισμός ανθρώπου ανιαρού, πληκτικού, χωρίς καμία προσωπικότητα ή ανθρώπου που δε συμμετέχει, που είναι αδιάφορος ή άσχετος.

Όχι μόνο επειδή το λένε τα λεξικά, αλλά κι επειδή το λέω και το ακούω μια ζωή (ευτυχώς για άλλους).

Ο συμβατικός (που ακολουθεί κάποιο καθιερωμένο τύπο και που χαρακτηρίζεται συχνά από έλλειψη πρωτοτυπίας, σε άλλο επίπεδο ύφους βέβαια), αυτός που δεν την ακούει με τίποτα, επειδή δεν θέλει να την ακούσει.

In the parlance of jazz, a square was a person who failed to appreciate the medium, or, more broadly, someone who was out of date or out of touch, hence the saying "be there or be square". In the counterculture movements that started in the 1940s and took momentum in the 1960s a "square" referred to someone who clung to repressive, traditional, stereotypical, one-sided, or "in the box" ways of thinking. The term was used by hipsters in the 1940s, beatniks in the 1950s, hippies in the 1960s, yippies in the 1970s, and other individuals who took part in the movements which emerged to contest the more conservative national, political, religious, philosophical, musical, and social trends. It comes from the square representing a four-beat rhythm as shown by a conductor's hands. It was in this context that Sly and the Family Stone's trumpet player Cynthia Robinson yelled out in the hit "Dance to the Music": "All the squares go home!" If the counterculture was a shift from conservatism to liberalism, then square was what liberal people called conservative people and things. While the term waned in popularity during the 1980s, it remained in the public consciousness, particularly of the American baby boom generation, enough that its broad meaning (of a person who respects traditional principles) is exemplified in Huey Lewis's 1986 hit "Hip To Be Square".

As THE hepcat Cab sings in this bluesbrothered Pelvis hit:

The warden said hey buddy don't you be no square
If you can't find a partner use a wooden chair

a solid bringer downer, not digging the jive, unable to get in the groove, ain't got his boots on, an icky, a Jeff, unhep

• Bring down ((1) n. (2) v.): (1) something depressing. Ex., “That’s a bring down.” (2) Ex., “That brings me down.”
  • Corny (adj.): old-fashioned, stale.
  • Got your boots on: you know what it is all about, you are a hep cat, you are wise.
  • Hip (adj.): wise, sophisticated, anyone with boots on. Ex., “She’s a hip chick.”
  • Icky (n.): one who is not hip, a stupid person, can’t collar the jive.
  • Jeff (n.): a pest, a bore, an icky.
  • Square (n.): an unhep person (see icky; Jeff).
  • Unhep (adj.): not wise to the jive, said of an icky, a Jeff, a square.

"Whaddya say, gate? Are you hep to the jive?"

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

Quino