Πώς μεταφράζεται το "Τώρα πια" στα αγγλικά;

Το ερώτημα προέκυψε από αμερικανίδα φίλη της γυναίκας μου που μάθαινε ελληνικά (και για κάποιο λόγο ήθελε να καταλάβει τα λόγια στο τραγούδι του Πάριου με τον αντίστοιχο τίτλο) και το ξαναθυμήθηκα διαβάζοντας στην σ. 276 εδώ πως "In many cases πιά...can hardly be translated".

Το καλύτερο που μπόρεσα να σκεφτώ για το "Τώρα πια (είσαι ανάμνηση παλιά...)" ήταν "By now (you are an old memory...)".
Κάτι καλύτερο;

Ευχαριστίες εκ των προτέρων.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Αν θέλεις να κρατάει και το μέτρο του «Τώρα πια» στο του Πάριου ώστε να τραγουδιέται στην ίδια μελωδία, θα μπορούσες να χρησιμοποιήσεις το nowadays που νομίζω ότι συνήθως υπονοεί και την αντιδιαστολή με το παρελθόν, η οποία πάντως είναι εμφανής και από τους υπόλοιπους στίχους.

Nowadays (nowadays ;-)
you are a shadow in my home
a crack upon a wall, an old scar
Nowadays (nowadays)
you are the north wind's distant wail
a murmur in non-rhyming verses

Nowadays, you are a memory at best
a yellowed letter in a drawer
By now I've built a brand new nest
A brand new love has taken over

pontios

Αν ταιριάζει το ύφος, κτλ, .. ίσως και το "henceforth" (or maybe even "hereafter"/"hereinafter"?);
Henceforth you are but an old memory, etc...

"From now on" just came to me.

Dreamed last night of a time and place
Where from our troubles we had escaped
I held your hand and felt complete
As you turned and said to me
From now on
From now on...will be
you and me we will be
From now on
From now on...will be
You and me
you and me we will be

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Τώρα το είδα αυτό (είναι μια μικρή ομάδα νήματα που δεν έχω δει ακόμα...). Θα πρότεινα εδώ το «after all this time». Αλλά σε πρώτη ευκαιρία θα κοιτάξω παρόμοιες χρήσεις τού πια, να δω αν ταιριάζει κάτι άλλο σε μεγαλύτερο εύρος χρήσεων.

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Τούτο το νήμα μού δίνει μια καλή ευκαιρία να εξάρω την απόδοση «όχι πια δάκρυα» που επιλέχθηκε για το σλόγκαν «no more tears» της Johnson & Johnson.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
anymore

1 : any longer <I was not moving anymore with my feet — Anaïs Nin>

2 : at the present time : now <hardly a day passes without rain anymore>

Usage Discussion of ANYMORE

Although both anymore and any more are found in written use, in the 20th century anymore is the more common styling. Anymore is regularly used in negative <no one can be natural anymore — May Sarton>, interrogative <do you read much anymore?>, and conditional <if you do that anymore, I'll leave> contexts and in certain positive constructions <the Washingtonian is too sophisticated to believe anymore in solutions — Russell Baker>. In many regions of the United States the use of anymore in sense 2 is quite common in positive constructions, especially in speech <everybody's cool anymore — Bill White> <every time we leave the house anymore, I play a game called “Stump the Housebreaker” — Erma Bombeck>. The positive use appears to have been of Midland origin, but it is now reported to be widespread in all speech areas of the United States except New England.

Examples of ANYMORE

• I never see them anymore.
  • <they don't sell that kind of sandwich anymore>
Synonyms now, currently, nowadays, presently, right now, today

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anymore

anymore

If you do not do something or something does not happen anymore, you have stopped doing it or it does not now happen:
I don't do yoga anymore.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/anymore

Any more is also an adverb and has the meaning of ‘no longer’ or ‘in the past but not now.’ In this meaning, we use it in end position:
We don’t go to Cornwall on holiday any more. (We used to go in the past but not now.)
The cost of electricity is not cheap any more.

Especially in American English, any more, as an adverb, can be written as one word, anymore:
He doesn’t cycle anymore.

“Any more or anymore ?” from English Grammar Today © Cambridge University Press.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/any-more-or-anymore

cougr

¥
[...]Το καλύτερο που μπόρεσα να σκεφτώ για το "Τώρα πια (είσαι ανάμνηση παλιά...)" ήταν "By now (you are an old memory...)".
Κάτι καλύτερο;

Now, alas, you are (but) a distant/an old memory.