metafrasi banner

the walking dead

Apart from the TV series of that name, it can mean an animated corpse or zombie.
It was appled to the 1st Battalion 9th Marines, nicknamed The Walking Dead, an infantry battalion of the United States Marine Corps. During the Vietnam War, the unit earned the name of The Walking Dead for its high casualty rate.:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_Dead

Compare the idiomatic 'the walking wounded' meaning:-

1. casualties, as of a military conflict, who are wounded but ambulatory.
2.informal . persons who have been damaged or defeated psychologically or emotionally by their experiences in life.:(:cry:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
They're not walking (as such; lurching more or less), just undead, but there is a related thread:

the undead = οι απέθαντοι, οι νεκροζώντανοι

Haha, I had translated the pilot for the TV series. Pure and brainless brainz fun.

Let us have a copy on Lexilogia of your pilot! One man's 'pure & brainless' fun is another man's [viz. mine!] fascination.

They're not walking (as such; lurching more or less), just undead, but there is a related thread:

the undead = οι απέθαντοι, οι νεκροζώντανοι

Haha, I had translated the pilot for the TV series. Pure and brainless brainz fun.

Only, Daeman, this applies to a broader cast of non-living things; not only zombies. The undead may be walking skeletons, vampires, mummies, ghosts, wraiths, ghouls, etc. In fantasy settings, they are also referred to as the Necros (reanimated with the aid of necromantic arts).

When referring to zombies, the most common Greek translation is... ζόμπι.

Also, with regards to their speed, depending on the medium, they range from sluggish to world-class sprinters.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
You're right, but... which part of "related" is not clear in my post above? ;)

I walked with a zombie - Roky Erickson

Btw, is DEATH one of the undead?
:p

:blush:
Not only did I not understand you were referring to a related thread, but I didn't even notice that the sentence was a link.:blush:

Since you ask, Death has been part of the undead in several media; which is ironic, since the undead can still die.

Well, slow zombies was the idea of a single director who just happens to be the man who started the whole thing with zombies (George Romero). Zombie speed depends on what type of zombies they are. Some of them are not even undead (28 Days/Weeks Later).

Note: I used the word "medium" in the sense of "any work of any different art/entertainment sub-industry" (i.e. any novel, film, videogame, etc).

Star Trek fans will get this :-D
1333571313_BOTTOM_28.jpg

Από εδώ.