metafrasi banner

homemade moonshine = παράνομα αποστάγματα, παράνομα οινοπνευματώδη

Moonshine (meaning illicit distillation, also called white lightning, mountain dew, hooch, "Tennessee white whiskey", and many other names) is an illegally produced distilled beverage. The word is believed to derive from early English smugglers and illegal Appalachian distillers who clandestinely (i.e., by the light of the moon) produced and distributed whiskey.:devil:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
My Gword dictionary has for moonshine: (αργκό) λαθραία ή παράνομα οινοπνευματώδη ποτά, which could be shortened to παράνομο απόσταγμα.

It was common in earlier times in Greece to distill the mash of various fruits and/or seeds (grapes, mainly) in a small still at home to make σπιτικά αποστάγματα on a small scale, like τσίπουρο, ούζο or ρακί (usually feminine in Crete: ρακή or τσικουδιά) or less common variations with the addition of fruit such as plums, quinces etc., but that term does not carry the legal implications moonshine does; it's used for its traditional flavour.

The distillation is strictly regulated by law (e.g. a couple of friends of mine had to buy a still's licence from someone who was too old to use it anymore in order to legally make their own ρακή, not for commercial purposes but for private consumption and sharing with friends in an all-out distillation feast every October in a small Cretan village), but since illegal distilling is far from extinct, the term for moonshine must be modified with an adjective like παράνομο or λαθραίο, denoting that illegal character.

Moonshine Whiskey - Van Morrison

Cheers, Theseus! I have some shots of homemade pomegranate liquor all filled up and waiting.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... a couple of friends of mine had to buy a still's licence from someone who was too old to use it anymore in order to legally make their own ρακή, not for commercial purposes but for private consumption and sharing with friends in an all-out distillation feast every October in a small Cretan village...

The said still, still distilling, exactly two weeks ago.