μαρμαροχυτό

I have been asked by a friend, retired professor from Kerkyra, to translate all of the poem - the Castle of Beauty - into English pentameters, of which the following is the first verse. As you will all know better than me it is part of a well-known demotic song.
I find the word above difficult to render. It can hardly mean 'of molten marble'(!). Does it mean 'marble-walled'/'marble encased' or 'with marble walls outspread'? Aστράφτει I take to be the present tense.

Όσα κάστρα και αν είδα και περπάτησα,
σαν της Ωριάς το κάστρο δεν ελόγιασα.
Κάστρο θεμελιωμένο, κάστρο ξακουστό,
σαράντα οργιές του ’ψήλου, δώδεκα πλατύ,
μολύβι σκεπασμένο, μαρμαροχυτό,
με πόρτες ατσαλένιες κι αργυρά κλειδιά,
και του γιαλού η πόρτα ’στράφτει μάλαμα.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not at all certain about that, but perhaps the second, figurative meaning of χυτός below might be used in this case, for the expertly applied, seamless marble coating (covering or encasing would perhaps be more appropriate, but you'll see why I use coating) or the sense of lushness it conveys:

χυτός -ή -ό [<x>itós] E1 : 1. για μέταλλο που το έχουν λιώσει και το έχουν χύσει σε καλούπια. ANT σφυρήλατος: ~ σίδηρος, χυτοσίδηρος. 2. (μτφ.) α. (για το ανθρώπινο σώμα) καλοφτιαγμένος, καλλίγραμμος: ~ λαιμός. Xυτό κορμί. Xυτά χέρια / πόδια. β. για ρούχο που εφαρμόζει πολύ καλά στο σώμα: Tο φόρεμα είναι / πέφτει πάνω της χυτό. γ. για κτ. που απλώνεται πλούσιο, άφθονο: Tα μαλλιά της έπεφταν χυτά στους ώμους. χυτά EΠIPP: Tο παλτό τής πέφτει ~. [1: λόγ. < αρχ. χυτός· 2: χύ(νω) -τός]

And yes, αστράφτει is in the present tense.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Th. This is a lovely challenge and I hope I'll have more time to help. For the time being, I think that μαρμαροχυτό means that the lead was cast into the gaps between the pieces of marble so as to hold them together. I may look into it further if your research doesn't come up with a satisfactory translation.

You seem to be spot on Nickel! I found this note in my research:-
μαρμαροχυτός -μαρμαροχυτή -μαρμαροχυτό (επίθετο) [ ΕΤΥΜΟΛΟΓΙΑ :μάρμαρο - χυ (χύνω) -τός]
αυτός που έχει χυθεί μέσα σε τρύπα μαρμάρου για σύνδεση: απόσπασμα από δημοτικό τραγούδι "μολύβι σκεπασμένο μαρμαροχυτό"
(μτφ.) ο αγνός, ο αθώος: Σικελ. Πρόλ. "κρασί του αγνού, που `ναι η ψυχή του μαρμαροχυτή".